Current projects of JSC "NIIAT"
1. The concept of transport support for the FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia
In 2010, Russia gained the right to hold the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup and the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
According to paragraph 11.3.2 "Providing transportation management plan" in Chapter 11 of "Transport" Section of the Bid Book of the Russian Federation, the "Russia 2018" Committee was to provide a detailed comprehensive Plan for organizing transportation and parking for the entire duration of the FIFA World Cup, for both competitions and associated activities no later than July 1, 2016.
FIFA World Cup in Russia features a large number of cities (11), the maximum distance between them being 3000 km, and a large number of stadiums (12).
The organizers plan to sell nearly 3.1 million tickets. "Fan zones" are planned on the central squares of hosting cities, as well as in 20 major cities of the European part of the country, the Urals and Siberia.
All these tasks can be implemented by comprehensively predicting and planning of the traffic and the transportation loads for all types of transport. The basic principles of the Concept of Transport Support include:
- Providing sustainable, efficient, safe and comfortable transport services for all participants and guests of the competition according to the level of service required for different client groups;
- Creating a harmonious (balanced) transport system, in which the bulk of passenger traffic is provided by public transport;
- Meeting the requirements on environmental safety and on barrier free environment for persons with reduced mobility;
- Providing effective heritage for the transportation system of Russian Federation after the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
2. Emission Inventory Instruction (Guidebook) for Calculation of Pollutants from Motor Vehicles in the territories of the largest cities (with population of over 1 million people).
The guidebook is intended to be used by environmental and regulatory authorities when assessing gross pollutant emissions in the territories of the largest cities, when developing environmental programs and evaluating their effectiveness and environmental protection measures, as well as by organizations involved in urban planning, transport and road-building activities when developing environmental sections in projects for development and reconstruction of transport infrastructure.
The guidebook takes into account changes in traffic structure by environmental classes of vehicles and changes in speed modes on city roads and streets of major cities. The guidebook contains a section, allowing to evaluate the impact of gasolines quality on emissions of sulfur dioxide, hydrocarbons, and a group of highly toxic and carcinogenic substances.
The use of methodological approaches proposed in the guidebook provides an opportunity to monitor and evaluate the impact of transport on the environment. A National Standard, scheduled to become operational in 2014, is being developed on the basis of these approaches.
3. Development of "Guidelines on approval of the calculation of cost-reasonable passenger and freight transportation on the urban and suburban roads and urban land-based electric public transport (except rail)"
The process of pricing regulation for the carriage of passengers by motor and urban electric transport is directly related to the tasks that need to be addressed in order to ensure high quality and safe passenger transportation.The first task
- Organization of transport services
- The prerogative of local authorities and executive bodies of subjects of the Russian Federation.
The second task
- Production of the required number and types of vehicles on the routes
- The authority of carriers of various forms of ownership.
The third task
- The establishment of passenger fares (tariff), corresponding to the population payment capacity
- The prerogative of the executive authorities of the Russian Federation, or, if appropriate delegation of authority,
- Local governments.
At present, these tasks are uncoordinated between the authorities of the subjects of the Russian Federation, the municipality and the carriers. Often setting the tariff for transportation is the authority of subjects of the Russian Federation, and the planning of the route network and timetables according to their character - the authority of municipalities; with the authority to finance "shortfall" of income arising from the excess of the cost of transportation over the fare, is shifted from one the level of the power system to the other, and, ultimately, the responsibility for funding transportation is eroded.
This leads to financial problems of motor organizations engaged in the carriage of passengers in urban and suburban traffic.
According to the Russian Ministry of Transport and the Federal State Statistics Service, the magnitude of loss of large and medium-sized organizations involved in passenger transport in 2011 (before tax) amounted to 5,751 million rubles.
The main objective of the "Guidelines" is the calculation of revenue for the carriers and budget funding to ensure stable and profitable operations of carriers which provide the services of passenger transportation.
Achieving this goal involves the introduction of the formation mechanism of revenue that carriers should be paid for work done - produce the required number and types of vehicles on the routes.
Revenues of the carrier must completely cover the reasonable costs of transportation and provide an opportunity for profit, sufficient to economically sustainable activities of the carrier and timely updates of vehicles.
These "Guidelines" solve the problem of determining the economically justified costs of transportation and profits, enough for economically sustainable activities of the carrier and timely updates of vehicles.
4. Working out technological foundations for the development of navigation and communications systems for information support and monitoring transportation of dangerous cargoes, based on GLONASS/GPS navigation equipment. Identifier: R&D "Monitoring-Auto"
A comprehensive information and analytical system for monitoring vehicles (hereinafter - KIASK-TS) is being created. The system is to provide automation of the following Rostransnadzor functions:
- to monitor and supervise compliance with the regulations on dangerous cargoes transportation by motor vehicles;
- to monitor and supervise compliance with the requirements of transport security during dangerous cargoes transportation;
- to monitor observance by carriers of the requirements of the Order of Russian Ministry of Transport, of January 26 2012, № 20: "On approval of the procedure of installing GLONASS or GLONASS/GPS satellite navigation equipment on vehicles in operation, including special vehicles of category M, used for the commercial carriage of passengers and category N, used for transportation of dangerous cargoes".
Currently, there are no organizational and technical mechanisms, allowing to log the beginning and the end of motion of a vehicle with dangerous cargoes, that is to define - whether or not is a vehicle being monitored at any given moment. These mechanisms are required for the indisputable determination of time periods when motor vehicle is subject to monitoring by Rostransnadzor (is carrying dangerous cargoes), which in turn is required to identify indisputably any violation of regulations on dangerous cargoes transportation. In addition, the development and implementation of these mechanisms will facilitate the use of information obtained by KIASK-TS as evidence in lawsuits on administrative violations by carriers of regulations on dangerous cargoes transportation.
Therefore, the development of technological foundations for determining the facts of presence of dangerous cargoes, being transported by road, is an important and relevant scientific and technical task that would allow to identify indisputably any violations of regulations on dangerous cargoes transportation.
5. A Draft of the Federal Law "On the organization of traffic and on Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation"
The main purpose of the draft law is to create legal environment for effective and uninterruptible implementation of traffic on the territory of the Russian Federation as an essential condition for sustainable functioning of transport system of the Russian Federation.
The objectives of draft law also include:
- assistance to implementation of advanced technologies and standards into transport planning, organization, operational management and regulation of traffic;
- development of a modern transport infrastructure.
6. "Development of subsystems and structures in intelligent transportation systems implementing information technologies and GLONASS/GPS satellite navigation. Identifier: R&D "ITS-Navigation".
Active development of road transport, growth of vehicle fleet and traffic volumes have led to both positive effects, such as new opportunities for economic development and increasing mobility of the population, and negative ones, namely to overloads of the road networks, to increase in the number of traffic accidents, the number of casualties.
These are largely caused by mismatches (lagging) in the pace of construction of the road network to the increase in number of vehicles in service.
To deal with the issues, various automation technologies are being actively implemented in the transport sector. These include: traffic monitoring and management systems based on GLONASS/GPS satellite navigation, vehicle to vehicle and vehicle to transport infrastructure interaction technologies, as well as the ITS, which are currently the most effective and full-featured tool for transportation management.
Meanwhile, an active development of information, navigation, geo-information and telecommunication technologies forms a technology basis for the implementation of new road transport management capabilities.
That is why, it seems an important and urgent task to conduct research, suggesting options for comprehensive use of modern technologies (particularly, GLONASS/GPS satellite navigation, automated traffic management technologies, wireless data transmission technologies, RFID, etc.) and for implementation of new subsystems and structures, that comprise ITS, based on these technologies.